Former Attorney General William Barr said the Department of Justice appears to be looking aggressively at former President Donald Trump and those close to him about their roles in the January 6 attack.
Barr, who served as attorney general from February 2019 through December 2020, had a say in the Justice Department’s investigation into the deadly Capitol mutiny during an interview with CBS News’ Catherine Herridge on Friday.
Barr said that based on recent federal grand jury subpoenas of senior Trump administration officials, it appears that prosecutors are “taking a hard look” at Trump and those around him regarding their actions related to the January 6 attack.
“It certainly is an important event. It changes my view of what is going on,” Barr said. “It suggests to me that they are getting a good look at the group at the top, including the president and the people immediately surrounding him who were involved in this.”
He also predicted to Herridge that attorneys general would “try to get a verdict on the matter of executive privilege” after former White House counsel Pat Cipollone was reported to have been subpoenaed by the Justice Department last week.
He described Cipollone’s subpoena reports as “the most significant.”
“He has the strongest claim for executive privilege as an advisor to the Office of the President,” Barr said. “That’s kind of the biggest mountain they can climb, and the fact that they’re driving that, to me, suggests that they want an eventual solution – not just on Cipollone – but, you know, that’s going to affect [former White House chief of staff Mark] The promoter and some other people too.”
former attorney general, Who helped sow unwarranted suspicions Around legitimacy From the results of the 2020 presidential election, the House committee investigating the events of January 6 previously reported that Trump’s allegations of election fraud were “nonsense” and “disconnected from reality.”
Speaking to Herridge last week, Barr stopped short of saying there would be a way to prove “beyond any reasonable doubt” that Trump was engaged in criminal conduct.
“After the last set of hearings, I said personally, if this is the case, as attorney general, I still do not see that as a sufficient basis to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the president committed a crime.” He said.
You can watch Barr interview with CBS News less.