August 17, 2022


  • Jennette McCurdy says in her new memoir that Nickelodeon offered her $300,000 in “silent money.”
  • McCurdy said that in return, she was asked to never talk about her network experience.
  • The star said she turned down the offer “immediately and instinctively”.

Jennette McCurdy said Nickelodeon offered her $300,000 in “silent money” if she agreed not to speak publicly about her experience at the network.

McCurdy described her time playing Sam Puckett in “iCarly” and the sub-series “Sam & Cat” in her new memoir, “I am glad my mother passed away.He is scheduled to be released on Tuesday.

In an excerpt posted by Vanity Fair On Friday, the actress recalled that she was on a phone call with her managers, agents and her attorney to discuss the cancellation of “Sam & Cat,” which played Ariana Grande as Cat Valentine.

The star, who said she had a negative experience on set, recalled that she was glad the show was ending.

Ariana Grande and Jennette McCurdy in "Sam and Kat."

Ariana Grande and Jennette McCurdy in “Sam & Cat.”

Nickelodeon


McCurdy said in her memoirs that Nickelodeon gave her a “gift of thanks”.

“They’re giving you $300,000, and the only thing they want you to do is not talk publicly about your Nickelodeon experience,” one of the managers told McCurdy, according to the actress.

McCurdy said they asked her not to talk about her experiences “specifically related to The Creator” and she declined “immediately and instinctively.”

“This isn’t free money,” McCurdy said at the time. “It sounds like silent money to me.”

“What the fuck? Nickelodeon is giving me $300,000 in hush money so I won’t talk publicly about my experience on the show?” McCurdy wrote in her book. “My personal experience with abuse The Creator? This is a network with shows dedicated to children. Shouldn’t they have some kind of moral compass? Shouldn’t they at least try to report some kind of moral standard?”

Although McCurdy did not identify The Creator by name in her book, she was probably referring to Dan Schneider, who is credited with creating “iCarly”, “Sam & Cat” and several other successful Nickelodeon shows including “All That and “The Amanda Show”, “Drake & Josh” and “Victorious”.

Nathan Kress, Miranda Cosgrove, and Jennette McCurdy on Season 1 of "iCarly."

Nathan Kress, Miranda Cosgrove, and Jennette McCurdy on Season 1 of “I Carly”.

Nickelodeon


In a new interview with The Washington Post, McCurdy said she thinks the ambiguous name is “funny.”

“I wanted some laughs about it, especially because I know there’s a lot of tension out there,” she said.

Earlier in the excerpt, McCurdy said The Creator urged her, then underage, to drink alcohol in order to give her an “advantage”.

Additionally, the actor said he gave her an unwanted back rub which made her uncomfortable. McCurdy wrote that she wanted to ask him to stop, but was “too afraid of offending him.”

McCurdy also noted that The Creator had faced a network issue over allegations of emotional abuse.

“I feel like it’s been a long time coming, and it should have happened much sooner,” she said.

McCurdy said The Creator was so disciplined that he was “no longer allowed to be with any actors”. She said he had to sit “in a small cave-like room by the sound stage” and his notes were delegated to the cast and crew via an assistant director.

Noah Monk, Nathan Kress, Miranda Cosgrove, Jennette McCurdy, and Jerry Trainor with Dan Schneider on set "iCarly" in May 2012.

Noah Monk, Nathan Kress, Miranda Cosgrove, Jennette McCurdy and Jerry Trainor with Dan Schneider on the set of iCarly in May 2012.

Charlie Galley / WireImage


McCurdy’s recollections in her book are similar to the earlier accusations against Schneider.

TV Producer He left Nickelodeon in 2018 And the Limit It stated that there were “multiple complaints of abusive behavior against Schneider by members of his staff”.

Schneider defended his behavior in a 2021 interview with The New York Times.

The publication reported that an investigation was launched by Nickelodeon’s parent company, ViacomCBS, prior to its exit. According to the New York Times, the investigation found no evidence of sexual misconduct, but people who worked with him deemed him verbally abusive.

Schneider defended his leadership style, saying he has “high standards” and is “absolutely willing to stand up for the creative things I believe in.”

Regarding allegations of inappropriate interactions with the stars of his shows, he told The New York Times, “I could not, and would not, have long-standing friendships and continued loyalty from many people of good repute if I had abused actors of any age, especially minors.”

Nickelodeon and Schneider representatives did not immediately respond to Insider’s requests for comment.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.